BBB Secure Your ID Day October 7, 2017
In 2016, 15.4 million Americans reported they were a victim of identity fraud, according to Javelin Strategy and Research. We know it only takes one misplaced personal document to give someone everything needed to steal your identity. BBBs across North America participate in this event each year to help eliminate these potentially damaging documents.
To help combat ID theft and educate the public on best practices to secure personal information, Better Business Bureau of Upstate New York partners with Shred-it, Tops Friendly Markets, AT&T, Cheektowaga Chamber of Commerce, West Seneca Chamber of Commerce and Greater Baldwinsville Chamber of Commerce to offer free document shredding in the Buffalo, Rochester and Syracuse areas October 7, 2017. The event is from 9:00 a.m. to noon at the following Tops locations:
355 Orchard Park Road, West Seneca, New York 14224
3865 Union Road, Cheektowaga, New York 14225
3507 Mt. Read Blvd, Greece, New York 14616
2265 Downer Street, Baldwinsville, New York 13027
We invite everyone to bring up to three bags or boxes of old files and papers for on-site shredding. Volunteers from the partnering organizations will be on hand to assist and distribute safety tips.
BBB offers the following tips to protect your identity:
- Check your credit reports regularly. You’re allowed one free credit report per year from each of the
three credit bureaus at annualcreditreport.com.
- Monitor account statements to be sure you were the source for all activity.
- Shred credit card applications and statements before throwing them away.
- Never give out personal information.
- Look for secured websites. Make sure the website has a locked pad icon and “https” in the URL.
- Protect your PINs and other passwords and change them regularly.
- Cut up credit cards before pitching them and limit the amount of cards you carry.
- Consider opting out of pre-approved credit card offers, which can be stolen from your mailbox by
- Update your computer with the latest anti-virus and anti-spyware software.
- Sign up for the Do Not Call List at donotcall.gov.
For more information, please contact us at 800-828-5000.